Saturday, August 4, 2012

Workout Tunes that Don't Provoke Suicidal Thoughts

I realized that minus a few exceptions, songs that could easily fill your mind with the desire to fling yourself out of a fifth-story window comprise my workout playlists. Depressing anthems with themes of hopelessness and anger sung by bands like Rise Against and Trapt undeniably get you pumped. But on mornings when the blue sky hides under a gray, gloomy marine layer, I crave some cheer. I found a direct correlation of the singer's gender and the mood of the song. Evanescence proving an exception to this rule, women generally belt out anthems of strength, hope with an optimistic, "can-do" attitude. Granted, there are days when I seek out the angry tunes. But when the sun plays hookie, I turn to the fail-proof, optimistic jams listed below.
1) Part of Me by Katy Perry- bash Katy all you want (with words, not a blunt instrument, unless you want to end up incarcerated). Actually, any song by this lovely lady promotes strong and hopeful attitudes.
2) I Saw the Sign by Ace of Base- seriously, the tempo and subject of this song (moving on, etc.) gets you moving faster than being jabbed with a hot poker. Not that I condone that act.
3) Take a Chance on Me by Abba- an optimistic message to an upbeat tempo
4) Tik Tok- if you can overlook her poor grammar usage and condoning of using whiskey for dental hygeine purposes, there is no better workout song to get you pumped
5) Lose Yourself by Eminem- woah someone with a y chromosome made the list! This song demands that listeners give everything their all, and that's a good message to live by and workout to.
6) Whenever, Wherever by Shakira- that lovely little lady proves talented in multiple arenas, one being in the ability to cheer me up and get me pumped simultaneously. Her other songs are contenders as well.
7) Highway 101 by Social Distortion- this love song to California's famous highway is in a major key and almost dissipates the densest mental clouds for workout clarity
8) Hit Me With Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar- this hardcore lady don't need no man and that independant attitude transfers well to a motivational workout soundtrack

For all you Debbie Downers, perhaps a list will surface later with my depressing and angry music. But for now, bask in the happy tunes and bust a move!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...