Thursday, October 20, 2011

Review of...The Ides of March

Now, initially I was disappointed because when I exited the movie theater the only moral I believed the movie to have taught me was something I, and I assume most other people, are already well aware of: politics are dirty. I got into my car and began the drive home, still feeling rather disappointed and empty at the lack of this film's ability to tell me something other than that which I already knew. Then, hark! It hit me. The other moral, possibly an even more important one: don't sleep with interns.

Okay, so maybe not a movie which made the greatest points (unless, of course, it was being shown to Clinton back in the Monica days). I still cannot say with a strong conviction that I disliked it. It was a quick film, which I felt was nice for a fun little evening out although it also meant leaving me a bit unfulfilled. But, perhaps that is what director (and star, of course) George Clooney was going for. I cannot be certain.

So, basic premise of the plot: Stephen (Ryan Gosling) is a young man working as the press secretary for the campaign of a Democratic presidential candidate, Mike Morris (George Clooney). Everything seems to be going well, which makes for a rather uneventful beginning of the film in which the audience wonders when, and if things will pick up. Then, of course, a young, blonde intern named Molly (Evan Rachel Wood) gets involved and all goes to hell. The rest of the film is scandal, more scandal, and then a little side of scandal topped with, you guessed it, scandal.

Worth seeing? Sure, why not. Is it going to top any lists any time soon? I hope not. But hey, at least it contains that oh-so-important message that audiences can carry with them the rest of their lives: never sleep with an intern (although the film put it in a bit more vulgar terms than that. I decided to spare your virgin ears).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...