Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Feral Dogs and Socks

"Cool! My wife had a great time there!"
"Delhi is the most chaotic city!"
"Wow, you're going to love it, Bir is like Heaven on Earth!"
"I'm not going to tell you about what it's like- I want you to form your own impressions."

The responses to the news that I am traveling to India in March range widely. Some people provide me with tips on things that I would have never thought of. Here are just a few of these nuggets of wisdom:

1) Wear socks at all times- one man told me upon hearing of my upcoming trip that when his wife visited Delhi, she wore sandals that she generally had to remove when going inside and returned with a gnarly foot fungus (gnarly being an adjective I added for embellishment's sake). Good thing I possess a pair of foldable flats that I can stick right into my purse for wearing inside!

2) Eat with your right hand- since Indians generally forgo silverware and eat with their hands, it is good to know the stigma attached to eating with your left one. To put it nicely, your left hand is reserved for *ahem* bathroom duties. Speaking of bathroom duties, this brings me to my next tip...
If Oprah can eat with her hands, so can I!

3) Bring oodles of toilet paper- I guess Charmin, Angel Soft, and every other TP brand has skipped over the  Indian market since its consumers do not use toilet paper. Seriously. Wow, the comforts of home I will miss..

4) Make sure you are up-to-date on your rabies vaccine- the guy whose wife contracted a foot fungus also got bitten by a feral dog. She must have just had the best trip. Traveling in Costa Rica made me accustomed to stray animals, but none of them appeared rabid, so this will be a new experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...