Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Artist- what modern cinema can do with a silent film!

I feel like a lot of people are going to be discouraged by the fact that The Artist is a silent film, and say things like "aren't we living in the year 2011?" "is it in 3D at least?" "you mean I have to READ the dialogue?!". In my opinion, all of these questions should be irrelevant as this movie goes far beyond the scope of the "popular" films of today, and dares to do something different and refreshing.

The Artist is funny, charming, touching and everything else you would want from a film. It was a feast for the eyes, and reminds us that perhaps, the dialogue of modern cinema is simply a distraction from the cinematic experience. The way that director Michel Hazanavicius played with sound throughout adds a great deal to the ongoing theme of sound, or lack thereof, in cinema.

The film was perfectly cast; my personal favorite being the precious little dog of protagonist George Valentin, a silent film actor past his prime who gives actress Peppy Miller her start in the film business. It was a cute little Jack Russell terrier, and stole the show completely. I think, perhaps, it was also Hazanavicius' tribute to the Italian realist film Umberto D. I could be wrong on that one, however, so don't quote me on that.

Please don't be deterred by the fact that it is a silent film. It truly was a feast for the senses in every way, and makes the audience think of a simpler time in cinema. You'll laugh, you'll cry (or at least get close), and you will be glad you went to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...