Sunday, January 8, 2012

You never really see the Dragon tattoo...

I found it strange that the main character of the film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo seemed to constantly be covering her tattoo for which the film and books are named. Perhaps this is because of all of the tattoos and piercings required of newcomer actress Mara Rooney, the tattoos were the only ones not real. I personally think that getting a real nipple piercing for a role is a bit extreme, but that in itself demonstrates her dedication to playing Lisbeth.

I was not really sure how I felt about this film immediately after viewing it. I think that the film wanted me to be shocked and disturbed, but I am not sure that this was the case. The R rating warned me of a graphic rape scene, so I went in to the movie as prepared for that as one can be, and I knew that there were thematic elements to the story line, but I still cannot say with conviction that I was shocked. Nor that Mara Rooney's preformance was Oscar-worthy, as I heard some audience members discussing as they exited the theater. That is not to say at all that she did not act the role amazingly well, especially considering that she was a relative unknown aside from The Social Network, just that I did not see it as an Oscar worthy role.

I will say with certainty that I was entertained, despite the movie's run time being a lengthy 2 hours, 38 minutes. I was not bored. But I also was not blown away. Do I recommend this movie? Yes, I think it is worth seeing. I do not, however, think it will be making any "Top 10" lists anytime soon, nor sparking any conversations about its lasting impact on the film industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...