Friday, January 27, 2012

Carnage- be ready to bust your gut!

What happens when you put Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster, John C. Reilly and Christopher Waltz together in a room? The most entertaining film I have seen in a while, that's what. To be honest, I never really thought I would see Winslet and Reilly in a comedy like this together, but the result is perfection. It completely demonstrates the capability of all of these actors, and I have to say that Kate Winslet ought to have been nominated for best actress. She proved that she can flawlessly transition from making a serious, World War II era film like The Reader to a short and sweet comedy like Carnage.

I can not recommend this movie more highly. I went in knowing hardly anything about it- all I did was briefly read the description about 10 minutes before deciding to see it. Winslet and Waltz play the parents of a child who got into a fight with the child of Foster and Reilly. The parents meet up to discuss the event and what actions must be taken as far as dealing with their children. Sounds like a pretty simple plot, but the entire situation evolves into a hilarious sequence of events between the two couples that leads to them learning way more about each other than they ever wanted to.

The children themselves never actually enter the apartment- we only get a brief view of them in the park at the very beginning and end of the film. But their presence is irrelevant- this movie is not really about what happened between the children, but rather the fact that it brings together two completely different couples who develop a very strange and endlessly entertaining relationship. Roman Polanski knew what he was doing when he made this film, and any movie-goer will certainly reap the benefits of his hilarious creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...