Thursday, June 14, 2012

When you spend too much time with crochety old ladies...

First of all, let me forewarn you- if you are planning to see Bernie and are not familiar with the true story on which it is based, you may not want to read this post. I do not want to provoke my readers to form an angry mob which will be provoked to form a pitchfork and torch bearing mob to show up at my doorstep because I spoiled a movie plot for them. So, consider yourselves warned. Maybe I should make you all sign a waiver. Anyways, as I was saying before my disclaimer which interrupted myself, if you spend time with crotchety old ladies, you will likely shoot one with an Armadillo gun.
Don't worry- if you see the movie, you will understand what's that means. Prior to screening the film, all I knew about this Jack Black flick was just that- Jack Black was in it. I had also pursued some reviews and saw that it fared better than many others that I could choose to spend 8.75 to see. Considering that I was completely in the dark as to what to expect and was clueless as to the true story of Bernie Tiede in Carthage, Texas, I was pleasantly surprised. Bernie is entertaining, induces the audience to laugh out loud, and shares a provoking and true human interest story with a wider range of people. All of the acting was fantastic, especially Jack Black in the lead role. For a quick summary, Bernie is about a Carthage citizen who was one of those jolly, charming people that everyone likes. He was an assistant funeral director, active in his parish, and a much-needed friend to those whose husbands had died. One lady with whom he spent a good deal of time after losing his husband led Bernie to his demise. Though he seemed like a completely stable person, her cruelty eventually provoked him to lose his sanity and kill her. Yet the audience still feels like they are on his side because we were never on hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...