Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Stains in Spain

Blame it on the economy, for it is almost certainly the culprit responsible for reducing the amount of street and sidewalk cleaning in Madrid. When I was here two years ago, men and women yielding hoses and washing away the days' residue frequented all parts of the city. Now, it is not so.

Aside from millions of people, Madrid is home to a plethora of pigeons and an increasing number of terriers constantly accompanying their owners. A large percentage of Madrid's population are young people meandering along the streets during the wee hours of the night in a place where public restrooms are scarce. Madrid citizens walk the aforementioned dogs up and down the sidewalks thanks to a lack of enough parks. I'm sure this is something that you all love to consider, but where do you think everyone is, to put it eloquently, taking care of their business? I think that question answers itself. Just some nice food for thought.

Speaking of food, (nice segway, Marisa) I have been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to not only be vegetarian, but vegan. Even in the short span of two years that I have been extracted from this country, the ease at finding food suited for more diverse dietary lifestyles has increased tenfold. The slightest breeze could have knocked me over when I saw that "leche de almendras" (almond milk) was available at the hotel breakfast as well as soy milk.

Anyhow, I am off to lunch, more updates to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...