Monday, June 18, 2012

A Lovely Dia Madrileno!

I do not want to complain incessantly on this blog. So, I'm not going to. I just figured that it was in the best interest of my readers to warn them about the dangers of staying at this hotel. I mean, parts of the ceiling are falling! Those who stay here not only risk their comfort level, but their lives! Ok- perhaps that is a slight exaggeration...

Today I went for a run beneath a canopy of clouds, gazed upon the works of Spain's master painters in El Museo del Prado, feasted with friends and family at a vegetarian restaurant, took a stroll through an upscale neighborhood, and conversed with a friendly bartender. To brandish off a lovely day, we got to see Spain win the soccer game against Croatia.

Tourists tend to embrace the slower Spanish lifestyle, and today we did just that. After snoozing until 10, we casually strolled around until happening upon a little cafe offering breakfast deals of cafe or cafe con leche and a variety of pastries or toast with tomato or jam to accompany your selected beverage. Since the majority of Spaniards sleep later than those pertaining to other parts of the world, they tend to skip breakfast altogether or simply eat a meal similar to ours. En route to the hotel, we popped into a market to pick up a few necessities.

After our run, my friend Jordan met us at our hotel and we took the metro to the part of Madrid in which el Museo del Prado is situated. Also situated there is a scrumptious vegetarian restaurant which offered a menu del dia with a variety of options for a three course lunch. I started my meal with a salad, chowed down a carrot and pumpkin tart as a main course, and polished it off with a vegan apple cake for dessert. Once our bellies were full, Jordan took his leave as he had a prior engagement. My parents and I then headed for the museum to visit our friends Goya and Reubens among others. Since I still possess a student ID, I got in for free which was a nice surprise.

After the Prado, we strolled through part of el Parque de Retiro, which resembles New York's Central Park. My parents then headed back to the hotel by metro, and I decided to walk back in order to stretch my legs a bit and explore Madrid. The smell of perfume emanating from upscale clothing stores enticed my nose to enter, but my empty wallet persuaded me otherwise.

It is bedtime now, but expect more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...