Thursday, June 28, 2012

Leaving Madrid- June 24

Unfortunately for all of you reading these, you can no longer expect chronology. Whilst abroad, only occasionally did I have internet, so I collected a great deal of snip-its that I wrote on my iPad during the times when I was connected, and I will be posting them now in no particular order, but will try to include the date on which they were originally written to avoid confusion.

My lack of sleep, mainly attributed to the drum-like sounds produced by the hotel patrons inhabiting the room directly above us, is currently contributing to my delerious state as I write this. Presently seated at gate D60 in the Madrid Barajas airport, I am almost two hours early and thus almost completely alone. Even my excitement brewing from the knowledge that I will soon be in Ireland once more can hardly keep my eyelids from giving in to gravity. Strange as it may sound, I am ready to part with Spain. For physical and psychological reasons, I was never fully able to acclimate to the Spanish schedule and lifestyle. Waking up at 11, going to bed at 2 and physically exerting myself throughout the day did not fare well for me. Combine that with my inability to express myself as I would like to in Spanish and it is not shocking that I am ready to leave even after only 10 days. I suppose, however, that 10 days is a decent amount of time for a vacation.

My family in Toledo and Madrid treated us well as always. Perhaps too well, at times- I started to feel guilty when so much worry stemmed from my vegetarianism. This was especially the case at my second cousin's wedding reception where not one of the six courses served during dinner was suitable for a non-carnivoirous diet. My relatives were so concerned on my behalf that they specially requested a veggie platter. My eyes grew wide upon seeing what the waiter brought out for me. It was a smorgasbord of grilled veggies that could have fed an entire table. Of course, I appreciated their kindess and made that known, but was unable to fill my limited somach cavity with so many vegetables.

Everyone raved about the dinner served at the reception. My mother claimed it was easily one of the best meals she had ever eaten, and I do not deny the sincerity of this statement. The attendees were already insisting that no more food would fit into their stomachs even before entering the building. From the time the guests began to arrive, elegantly-clad waiters brought out tray after tray of kebabs, sushi, shrimp, octopus skewers and more. One server specifically dedicated his time to carving an Iberian ham hock of the highest quality which immediately caused a line to form at his station. At another table nearby, a waiter served paella from a massive pan.

Once seated, five more courses were brought out sequentially, and each in itself was a work of art at which Monet would have marvelled. The first couse consisted of a Spanish soup similar to gazpacho. Upon its completion, a plate of swordfish accompanied by asparagus wrapped elegantly with a strip of meat was placed before the guests. Next came a melon sorbet to cleanse the palate, and then the piece de resistance, a steak filet with au gratin potatoes. Finally came the most beautiful course of all- a dessert plate boasting a miniature flan, a chocolate mousse pyramid oozing white chocolate, a shot glass overflowing with donut flavored cream, and a dollop of whipped cream topped with a cherry. Everyone was forcing the last bites of dessert down their throats and there was still one more course to come- coffee accompanied by chocolate truffles, petit fours and after dinner liquor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...