Thursday, June 28, 2012

Back to the USA

I erroneously assumed that after about 5 nights of shoddy nights of sleep, my body would be able to overcome all obstacles and pass out for one entire night. Boy, was I wrong. I have never erred so seriously in the past in my choice of hostels. Well, perhaps in Rome where I ignored horrible ratings for the Sun Moon hostel and booked it anyway, resulting in a room with no hot water or electricity. The hostel guilty of depriving me of yet another restful night was Abraham hostel by O'Connell street in Dublin. It was situated in a part of the city which provoked me to clutch my bag close and continuously look behind me- I was paranoid and afraid even during the day to be there. Upon returning at night during one of Ireland's infamous downpours after the Spain soccer game, it was exponentially worse. I made it home unscathed, however, but soon found my sleeping conditions insufferable. The bed was located right next to a window parallel to an extremely busy road, and every passing vehicle made any hope I had of sleeping dissipate immediately. I ended up leaving for the airport an hour before I needed to just because I couldn't send being in that godforsaken hostel any longer. Despite my unfortunate hostel experiences and meeting some questionable characters, my heart is breaking again now that it comes time to leave my beloved emerald isle. Thankfully, the last two nights were filled with the company of charming locals as opposed to creepy drunkards. Traveling alone has taught me more about Ireland, myself, and humanity in general. I am, however, more than ready to get back to a normal eating and sleeping schedule, and to stop living out of a suitcase for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...