Thursday, March 22, 2012

My Dream Dinner Guest

Remember in elementary school when your teacher asked which historical figure you would invite to dinner if you were able to do so? I think that I always had a rough time with that question and due to the nervousness it instilled within me, I would answer something generic like a former president or Oprah. However, I can now say with complete confidence that my dinner guest of choice for whom I would spend hours cooking and then selecting a perfect wine to compliment the dish would be Oscar Wilde. With a dinner guest like that, you would be guaranteed a good meal with plenty of laughs and a conversation incapable of lagging.

The Importance of Being Earnest is one of Wilde's repertoire of great works, oozing with the kind of humour that sneaks its way into your mind and embeds itself there. It is clever humour, irony, satire... the real stuff. None of the slapstick, cheap laughs that are far too common in today's culture. This is what defines comedy in my opinion, the kind that actually makes you think while you laugh and pokes fun at flaws in society and peoples' characters and not things like bodily functions.

The actors in the roles of this play performed with passion, and in all honesty I have no idea how they did not crack themselves up on stage. They were all brutally funny in their every move and vocalizations of Wilde's witty dialogue. The entire plot is so full of twists and turns that you almost need a roadmap, and the end is so meticulously perfect that you can't help but feel completely satisfied in the way you would after downing your favorite meal. I would recommend that everyone go to see this play, but I believe it was a one night only affair. So, I guess I could recommend reading the book instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...