Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Zolo Grill- A Flavor Sensation!

Mis gustativas nunca habían sido tan alegres. For all of you non-Spanish speakers out there, use Google translate. Despite my many years of inhabiting Boulder, I am still completely ignorant when it comes to the restaurants that this city has to offer. I am very glad that my friend dragged me out of my culinary bubble and suggested that we dine at the Zolo Grill located at 28th and Arapahoe. This decadant restaurant puts a modern spin on Mexican food and combines flavor sensations with results that would please even the most stubborn gourmand. And by that I mean, the food critic from the movie Ratatouille would be over the moon by this food. High praise, I know. I know you are all dying to know what it was I ate that sent my senses soaring. It was happy hour, so I began the evening with a red sangria, completely reasonably priced at $3.50. I will admit, the only negative about this restaurant were the prices. Most things were reasonable, especially the happy hour selection with tasty little bites to tide you over and drinks that can be dubbed liquid happiness, but the entrees ebbed on the side of making a college student cry. That is, about a range of $15-$23 per entree.

The sangria was, as I said, liquid happiness- not overly sweet like some sangrias, and the perfect amount of kick. My dining pal ordered a strawberry margarita which was also amazing- I could barely taste the tequila- which is a good thing for me. So many bad experiences have led me to be unable to drink anything containing the stuff, even if it is almost completely disguised. We also shared some chips and salsa, which unfortunately were not gratis (I hope you still have Google translate open), but very tasty- some of the best restaurant salsa I have had.

Now for the piece-de-resistance (there should be an accent in there somewhere... feeling lazy)- my entree. I went with the winter squash tamales with cauliflower puree, dried cranberries churney, and crispy brussels sprouts. Whoever decided to combine those flavors should get some kind of award for being a culinary genius. This food was amazing- I wanted to chow the whole thing down in 5 seconds. My friend got the Zolo Market salad and was raving about it as well. Aside from the food which should provide reason enough to eat here, the decor and ambiance were perfect as well. Our service was a tad on the lagging side, but it was extremely busy and they made up for it with their culinary expertise so we let it slide...this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...