Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Hunger is Satisfied

I already miss Peeta, Katniss, Finnick and, yes, even Gale, my dear friends from the Hunger Games trilogy that kept me company for an embarrassingly short amount of time. It is embarrassing because it must say something about how much free time I have that I can down three novels of about 400 pages each in about ten days. A little pathetic, yes, but also lends major props to the author, Suzanne Collins, for making me hoplessly addicted to her words.

People told me a number of things about Mockingjay, the final book in the trilogy, before I even cracked the lovely baby blue cover. They were almost all about how the story concludes and how it would make me feel, and all were generally along the same lines. I heard that the end would make me "regret having read the series at all", and that it would make me want to "throw myself in front of a train". My mind was swarming with possibilities after hearing these comments- possibilities ranging from deaths of characters to Katniss waking up and having it all be a dream. That would just be cruel. I wish I could actually discuss my thoughts on the end, but I will not ruin it for anyone because I think that it is worth reading. The end was, yes, shocking, but perfect to me. It was wonderfully ironic and ignited my mind like a literary match (if that makes any sense).

I can give a brief summary, however, without ruining the oh-so-offensive ending (but do NOT read this if you have not read books one and two and plan to. I don't want to start any riots involving torches and pitchforks [or any riots in general]). We start off where the second novel left off (logical, right?), where Katniss has just discovered that her dear home of District 12 has been destroyed by the Capitol. Evil, right? Not only that, but they have kidnapped Peeta! Oh dear! Whatever will Katniss do? Probably just deal with it and latch back onto Gale like she usually does. Anyways, there is now a full-on war between the Rebels and the Capitol, and the rebels have set up a base in District 13, which no one thought existed before. That is the premise as rapidly as I can summarize it. Like Catching Fire, it takes a little while for the pace to quicken, but once it does, you will spend the wee hours of the night poring over words until your brain cannot take it and you are no longer able to shut out it out while it begs in desperation for you to go to bed. Something to look forward to, right? And if you have read it... you know exactly what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...