Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Delhi Redefines Traffic

Being one of the few Americans in my volunteer group has made me extremely irritated that the USA cannot get with the picture and switch to the metric system. Temperatures have come up a surprising amount in conversation and trying to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius in my mind is more complex than a 9x9 Rubik's cube (if those exist). I feel like people are speaking Chinese when they mention kilometers, meters or kilos.

On an actually-related-to-my-travels note, today I experienced Indian traffic at its prime, and it puts to shame the traffic of the most congested cities in the United States and made San Jose, Costa Rica driving look tranquil. Before today, I had not been in the thick of traffic here since yesterday was a holiday and Sunday was... well, a Sunday. Essentially, everyone is laying on their horns at all times so there is a never-ending beep invading your ear canals. There is an eclectic combination of cows, bikes (both standard and motor), pedestrians, tuk tuks, rickshaws and cars following an unwritten set of traffic rules. There are generally no speed limits and hardly any traffic lights. Initially, I thought the insanity on the roads meant awful drivers, but the lack of accidents among such chaos made me realize that they are actually incredibly skilled. Indian drivers would laugh in the face of those complaining about Los Angeles traffic.


Today was our sightseeing tour of Old Delhi, which included stops at Qutub Minar, Humayun's tomb, and the Baha'i Lotus Temple. Qutab Minar is a world heritage site comprised of a victory tower built by the Moguls, a cemetery and a partially-built mosque. Humayun was apparently a big shot Mogul leader with a rather impressive palace housing his remains and the remains of others. That guy truly knew how to select an ostentatious burial place.

The lotus temple, a recent architectural marvel representing a squished Sydney opera house. As you can see in my photo, the lotus temple resembles a blooming flower and the opera house an already-bloomed flower. Not sure that such a detailed description was necessary, but whatever. I am tired, cut me some slack. If I am to contract a foot fungus on this trip, it will be from my trip to the temple where shoe removal prior to entry was required. Even after reading the information pamphlet about the Baha'i religion, I am still confused about what it is. However, we were informed that the temple is a place for people of all faiths to pray or worship or meditate.

When we returned from a day of sweating and walking barefoot, I craved a bucket shower (no, I am not joking even slightly). My ranting and raving about my newfound love bucket showers has surely driven everyone I'm around insane. See, before discovering the wonder of the bucket shower I had three options: not shower, get singed by three sharp streams of water shooting from the shower head, or freeze and stick my head under the faucet. Yet the bucket, oh the magical bucket, allows you to concoct the perfect water temperature and use exactly the amount you want. I may continue the bucket showers upon my return.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...