Saturday, March 15, 2014

In India!

A nine-foot cattle prod couldn't wake me from this dream. I am in India, the apartment in which I am staying emanates the aroma of an Indian restaurant, the people are warm and welcoming, I woke up to the sound of chanting, and best of all, I survived the flight. I might add that I am a fantastic seat neighbor. Only once in 14 hours did I obnoxiously have to evict the two people beside me in order to use the bathroom.

The flight went well aside from some unwelcome turbulence. I watched a grand total of six movies: Rushmore, Adult Children of Divorce (a hilarious comedy that I had never heard of and was completely underrated), Philomena, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, and The Book Thief. I had planned to write a bunch of blogs but my exhaustion, both mentally and physically, prevented me from doing so.

My flight arrived over an hour early, meaning I had to wait a significant amount of time to be picked up. I simply stood in the waiting area, absorbed the sights, and noted the thick air that smelled like a campfire. After the worker from the organization arrived, we had to wait another hour or so for two more volunteers to land. This instantly put me in that mindset of "oh dang, I actually have to TALK to this person an get to know him? UGH!".

We became fast friends. He is a vibrant Nepalese man in his early twenties who came here to study three years ago. We struck up a conversation that ranged from our different countries' religious beliefs to arranged marriages to the aps on our iPhones. He expressed to me that he had no idea how Americans do not give all credit to God, and told me that arranged marriages are still quite common. I asked him if he wants his own family and he looked shocked and asked if anyone doesn't.

I am currently one of three volunteers staying in one of the organization's employees apartments. The other two are a couple from New Zealand who just arrived from a volunteering stint in Bali. They have been married for 35 years and are now spending a year volunteering and traveling. How fantastic is that?

I found out that I am lucky enough to be here during the Indian festval of Holi tomorrow. From the way it has been described, it is like a giant game of paintball. I guess I will find out...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...