Saturday, March 8, 2014

Jared Leto is a Handsome, Pretty Man

How is it fair that Jared Leto has the ability to be both a really hot guy and a gorgeous woman? It's not fair, that's what I say. For me, one of the most striking aspects about his role in Dallas Buyer's Club that earned him the coveted Oscar for best supporting actor was how pretty he was. Perhaps the reason I find him so attractive is because he looks like he could be the brother of my female celeb crush, Zooey Deschanel (maybe it is the blue eyes?).
Sexy man
Pretty convincing lady...

Jared Leto could be her brother

So, Dallas Buyer's Club was a good movie. Wow, nice generic statement there, Marisa. Was I blown away by this movie? No. Would I watch it over and over again like I would Lost In Translation? No again. But would I recommend it? Absolutely, one thousand times over. Right from the start, the film sucked me in and held my attention hostage with a vice grip the entire running time. The plot chronicles the true story about Ron Woodruff, a Texas bull rider and electrician during his life after he is diagnosed with HIV and refuses to give up despite the doctor giving him 30 days to live. In Mexico, he obtains substances that seem to alleviate his symptoms and decides to help others with HIV and AIDS by selling them in Dallas. While in the hospital in Dallas, he meets a transvestite, Rayon (actually, he is pro-op- does that just make him a cross-dresser? I'm not an expert on the terminology) who helps him in his distribution.This angers the FDA and healthcare officials who believe he is interfering with their trial of the drug AZT by drawing away its participants.

I can't imagine how starving Matthew McConaughey must have been the whole time he sacrificed his sexy toned body to waste away to an emaciated state in preparation to play Rob Woodruff. His physical transformation along with his passionate acting earned him that Oscar for best actor, although I heard Chiwetel Ejiofor from 12 Years a Slave was equally impressive, if not more so. I can't say yet because I have not seen it. One thing I noticed is I don't think I have ever seen McConaughey play a role in which he did not use his natural Southern accent. That is what I want to see. Jared Leto was fantastic and passionate and had to starve himself so he deserved his Oscar as well.

Dallas Buyer's Club was a lot more graphic and intense than I assumed it would be. I did not even know it was rated R until the theater employee asked to check my ID to ensure that I was at least 17. I was THIS close (holds thumb and pointer fingers really close together) to mentally giving him kudos for making me feel young again but then I instantly retracted these thoughts when he saw my birth date and said, wide-eyed, "wow, you're a LOT older than me!". I guess no wise sage has taught him how to talk to women yet. Basically, if you are very sensitive to pervasive language and somewhat graphic sex scenes (although after The Wolf of Wall Street I am numbed to that and offer an altered perspective) and if you work for the FDA (this movie makes them look moronic) you may want to skip it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...