Friday, March 14, 2014

What Smells?

I am about to take my final shower for the next 17 days. Yes, you read that correctly. I figured what the heck, I may as well fully embrace a grimy lifestyle and take my lack of hygiene to a new level. That, and my host family does not own a shower. At least they have that flushing toilet I mentioned a few posts back. It's going to be just like the time I first saw Psycho and couldn't bring myself to shower for a week. I am bringing mass amounts of dry shampoo and deodorant in the hopes of fooling everyone. I'm not sure it will work so well...

One thing is for sure- I will never enjoy a shower as much as I will when I take one after 17 days. I really shouldn't complain considering my friend in the Peace Corps went five months without a shower.  I'm sure showering will be one of many things I miss from here after I leave in a few hours. My bed is another thing, as I will be roughing it Boy Scout style in a sleeping bag on the floor. So maybe add "sleep" to the list of things I will miss.



However, the things I discover about myself and about another culture will far outweigh my desire to be among the comforts of home. I can't wait to take in the colors, the cuisine and even the chaos. I'm excited to meet new people and remember why it is that I have such an inextinguishable addiction to travel. 

Behold: the last photo of me fresh out of the shower and actually clean. Don't get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...