Saturday, July 14, 2012

Barbie Wasn't Home

No sign of her, or her hunky man Ken, in Malibu today. Or her weird cousin whose name no one can remember. I just looked it up- apparently Barbie has a very extensive family. Who knew?

Under cloudy skies offering little promise of clearing up, I headed up the Pacific Highway amid horrendous traffic despite the unassuming time of day to the Rockin' Truck Grub event. Among the Los Angeles food trucks perched along the highway were Calbi Tacos, Baby's Bad*** Burgers, and the Rolling Sushi Van. There were a few others, such as the Lobsta Truck, but embedding all of those links just now was exhausting. Look them up if you want. Of course, it was after I left the event that the vegan food truck showed up, but I still found animal free dining at Calbi Tacos, where I ordered the tofu corn tacos with no cheese. All that needs to be done to get your mouths watering as mine was is to show you the following:

So tasty!
There was also live music by local musicians, among them Hannah Mulholland. Her original songs were soulful and rang full of southern charm, and I did a short interview with her afterwards for one of my journalism courses. She informed me that she is moving to Nashville shortly since the country music scene in Los Angeles is essentially less existant than a hair on Bruce Willis' head (my own embellishment, not hers). I recommend looking up her stuff, though her first CD release isn't set until September. I found her on YouTube. I liked best about our talk her advice concerning songwriting. I told her of my constant struggle with original music writing, and she said that she was the same way until she started writing songs as if no one would ever hear them. I will give that a try.

After our chat, I walked down a trail that wound its way down to the shore, dodging lizard after lizard along the way. The clouds were starting to clear, so on my way back I snapped this photo of the line of food trucks:


I had RSVPd to an artist's talk at the Malibu Civic Center at 5 o clock. Being only 2, I did the obvious thing and headed to the nearest Starbuck's for my coffee fix. The one that my beloved Garmin led me to was in a charming, Spanish tile roofed shopping center set among palm trees. I relaxed among the over tanned Malibu locals and read until it was closer to the event. When I got there, however, no one showed up and around 5:15 I got sick of waiting and began my long ride in even worse traffic back home. Now, off to karaoke. I am sure tonight is the night that I will meet someone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...