Monday, July 23, 2012

Blast From The Past-Ice is an Amazing Thing

I noticed that I have about 15 draft posts that never made it through to the public. Here is one from my trip to Munich almost a year ago now, so enjoy!

Sorry I have not posted in a few days, there was a slight issue with internet use and I am making up for that now in Munich. So, brace yourselves for the longest post in the history of this blog.
Well, I am not sure what the deal is, but there seems to be a general lack of A/C usage in Germany. Also their trains suck, especially after I was so spoiled with awesome Czech trains. Dianna and I are currently en route to Munich on the most uncomfortable train ever. There are what appear to be signs informing us of the air conditioning on this train, so I am not sure if they are not using it intentionally to make us suffer, or if this particular train does not have it, or if it is so ungodly hot outside and there are way too many people and their bags stuffed into too small of a space and the combination of such things cancels out any affect the air conditioning would have.
It is time for me to list the little things that I completely miss about the states, and what I am looking forward to upon my return.
1) ICE- in general, I have not encountered any use of ice in beverages in Europe. When I am sweating like a pig in 90 to 100 degree weather, all I really want is a free water filled with ice. But even the things that they refrigerate are not that cold at all, which is extremely disappointing.
2) Free water- I am so sick of drinking lukewarm bottled water after lukewarm bottled water. I just want to be able to go to a restaurtant and be presented with a nice glass of cold, ice water and be able to drink as much as I want of it for free.
3) Free bathroom usage- all I really have to say on this topic is when nature calls, you should be able to take care of that without having to drop ,70 euro.
Okay, now I should probably stop complaining and get to the good part. Lake Constance was truly quite a wonder. I know that I never would have visited this heavenly location if not for my friend residing there, so I am extemely thankful for that. It was also an ideal spot because of it's proximity to both Switzerland and Austria. Because of that, we were able to take a day trip to Bregenz, Austria to do a bit of walking around on the mountain there. It was a gorgeous mountain, we are talking lush greenery, gorgeous views of more mountains and Lake Constance, and even a small zoo and playground at the top. I particularly enjoyed when an elderly German man went down the slide while smoking a cigarette in the playground.
Also, fun fact time, Bregenz is where part of Quantum of Solace was filmed during the scene where they were at the opera. So, now maybe I will recognize it when I see the movie next, although that may not happen because it was not a very high-quality flick.
Ah this will be an enjoyable train ride, there is a lady sitting across from me staring angrily and a group of drunken teen males behind me, conversing much too loudly to be acceptable in public with two six packs on their little table. In a couple more uncomfortable hours, we shall be in Munich and ready to start another adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...