Friday, July 13, 2012

Ghosts in Hollywood

Though I am starting to feel as if my readership is diminishing, I am going to keep posting anyways because I know a few of you would miss me if I did not keep this thing up.

My complete lack of even one friend is likely the culprit of my inner conflicts occuring on a regular basis. Marisa has basically become two entities. One is a sad newcomer to a big city who just wants to sit in her apartment wallowing away in grief at her lack of friends. Two is a determined individual bent on defying the aforementioned attitude and exploring the city. They fight like little children and personality two generally wins, so I go out to events and try to ignore how silly I look being alone at them. In general, I end up being pleased that number two won the internal battle.

Today was a good example. I headed to Hollywood for an outdoor screening put on by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (aka the Oscar people) of the film Ghost, which I had never seen prior. I arrived early, set up my blanket, and tried not to look pathetic sitting there alone. It was a pretty cool scene, I have to admit- a lot like Boulder's outdoor cinema. However, it was on the grass and in Hollywood and there were two food trucks. I had already eaten dinner, but it was a bit brisk so I went to the Brasil Kiss truck which offered coffee and teas, and got a decaf green tea and was informed by the worker that I look like Emma Stone. I highly disagree, but he was insistant and it was the second time I have heard so.

I have to hand it to LA- they have amazing port-o-potties. I mean, high class stuff. They smell like a freshly cleaned department store restroom and have soap, toilet seat covers and even flush. Don't know where the flushed stuff goes, but maybe I don't want to.

Prior to the movie, we were treated to a bunch of old ads that used to screen at drive-in movies. That really tickled my nostalgia bone, I loved it. Better still was the black and white Popeye cartoon that preceded Ghost. And perhaps better still was that before Popeye, the casting director, set designer, producer and a main actor from Ghost all came on stage to give some insight/thoughts about the film and what it was like to work on it. As with the Henry Rollins case, I was not phased in the slightest when Tony Goldwyn, who played Carl, came on stage. Then during the movie I realized that he is basically the main character, and I understood what he meant when he said that the role of Carl made everyone hate him.

During my drive back, I got to see how shady it is in Hollywood at night. And by that I mean, going there as a woman alone walking would basically be equivalent to wearing a sign that said "rape me". Therefore, I was glad to be safe in my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...