Friday, July 20, 2012

Somber Day for Us All

Creative juices cascaded around my mind upon my return from the midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises yesterday. After cozying up under the covers, I put thought to notepad and scribbled the ideas most prone to rapid dissipation for the sake of their preservation and called it a night. It was, after all, 4:07 AM.

I woke to a beautiful day. The marine layer was long gone- it packed its bags and headed elsewhere. The start of this glorious day I planned to spend whipping up my review of the film. However, after checking text messages and news headlines I felt the wind was knocked out of me. I am still reeling from the story- perhaps to a greater degree than many as the shooting happened to close to my hometown. As my mother noted, I could have easily been there. But I wasn't.

My heart reaches out in pure sorrow to the individuals affected by the shooting. At the moment, my shaken mentality prevents me from writing and releasing a review injected with a tone that would juxtapose the horror of Aurora's shooting. The film itself will, for at least a while, have a tainted reputation. I will write about it later, but for the moment, I think refraining is a matter of respect. Humaity shows us the cruelty of which it is capable. Now we need to come together in our support as a nation and combat that with compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...