Thursday, July 5, 2012

Boulder Nostalgia Bug

Today, and over the past few days, I was bitten by a nostalgia bug. That particular kind of insect leaves a rather unpleasantly itchy wound not unlike that of a mosquito, but not quite as bad as a deer fly bite. This was no normal nostalgia bug, however- it was a subspecies know as a Boulder nostalgia bug. Characteristic of this subspecies are wings decorated with pot leaves and dreadlocks, and they tend to frequent locations such as the Boulder Public Library and Whole Foods. They go after people, like me, who are about to move away.

Symptoms of a Boulder Nostalgia Bug bite include saying things like "aw, that is the last hippie guitar guy I will see for awhile," or "aw, I'm going to miss that marijuana dispensary!" Comments like that, stopping just short of "aw, I'm going to miss that naked lady gardening." No. Old ladies bending over while gardening naked are something I will definitely not miss. I am not nostalgic in the slightest to be leaving charming quirks of Boulder such as that behind me.

As I prepare to trade pine trees for palms, I am starting to get a bit gooey over leaving certain things that have been so familiar in my life for the past 18 years or so spent with the flatirons looming nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...