Monday, July 16, 2012

Syrian at the Hammer

Alone in a big city, waking up to a cloudy sky is the last thing my morale needs. Yet I battle the morning gloom like a ninja, get my sorry butt out of bed and face the day head on. A job would certainly help in this department.

The venue for today's event forcing me out of the apartment was once again the Hammer Museum. At 7:30 (well, let's be honest, it was California time. Which is not so leisurely as Spain time, but borderline), Syrian pianist and composer Malek Jandali took the stage. To describe his performance as touching, passionate, powerful and moving would all be understating the truth. To ascertain the sentiments that he poured into his music, one would need to be present. Greatly augmenting the significance of his concert, Jandali interwove telling tales of Syria's past and its dire present situation amongst his compositions. His heart, and those of his captivated audience members, went out to his hometown. Emphasizing the urgency of the troubles in his home country, he asked the audience to write to the senate asking for three things. 1) A Syria no-fly zone. 2) Increased humanitarian aid. 3) Access to the media.

Tones of true saddness intermingled with the music notes echoing throughout the modest concert hall. They swirled around, reached my ears, and made me feel more than I had in awhile. Events at the Hammer have proved worthwhile ventures. Also, complete unrelated and much less serious side note, Steve Jobs' sister was at the concert. Previously, the fact that he was Syrian was unbeknownst to me.

For the first time, I attended an event accompanied. The other day I met a young man from New York here on a job with a theater company putting on a production of The Exorcist. I plan to see it, though the film scarred me beyond reckoning mentally, on Wednesday, so stay tuned for a review!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...