Tuesday, July 17, 2012

This is Humidity?

Popeye's spinach consumption is spot on. I digested the leafy green three times today and my energy level was higher than a stoner watching The Big Lebowski on 4/20. For this reason, despite the late hour I am engrossed in "writing mode". Maybe the spinach was the culprit for making me use the word "engrossed" right now. I am in writing mode, and the mode that makes one want to save Olive Oil from whatever mishap she has gotten herself into.

Weather reports on Los Angeles news stations amuse me even more than the hamster on a piano video. When temperatures veer even slightly from the ideal 78 degrees (give or take a degree or two), complaints roll off the meteorologists' tongues, followed by reassurances ranging from: "the good news is, this humidity will end soon!" (when you can just barely detect moisture lindering on the air) to "well, the forecast shows it will finally be cool enough to go outside within the next few days!" (when it is 82 degrees). As someone who spent time in actual climate extremes, I have to laugh.

After my run the other day, I passed by my neighbor's house and found him outside painting. His work intrigued me- in particular, a colorful, cartoony paintings of a cheerful puppy. I said hello, but did not introduce myself. Today, I passed by again, and decided to do the neighborly thing and tell him my name. He responded in turn, saying his name was Harry. His shirt, displaying the word "Prague" beneath a sketch of the skyline, provoked me to question if he had ever been there. He informed me that it was his dream as he loves Czech culture and Kafka novels. I think he and I will get along just fine.

At night, I debated whether to attend a story telling campfire session in the Pacific Palisades or hit up my regular venue, the Hammer Museum, for an event entitled "open projector night". Easily starstruck as I am, when noting the MCs for the open projector night were the Sklar twins who appeared in such television shows as It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and hosted the show Cheap Seats on ESPN. The premise of the program went as follows: any filmmaker could enter a film. 90 seconds of it would be screened, and the audience would decide if they wanted to see the rest. They ranged from trippy to touching, surreal to hilarious. Once again, a triumphant event at the Hammer.

After the event, I headed to the Glendale bar for their happy hour and was starstruck on a whole new level- Brooke Shields was there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...