Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A Fourth of July with No Fireworks

Is much like a Christmas without a tree. An Easter without a basket of chocolates. A birthday with no cake. A Halloween with no pumpkins.  Okay, I think you get my point. The devastating fires which have wreaked havoc on the state of Colorado and the nation (there is a really bad one in Wyoming) made it unsafe to have the displays so classic to our celebration of freedom. It seems that to get my firework fix, I will have to listen to Katy Perry's song "Firework" or watch a YouTube video of a prior display.

Yet, if I have learned anything from classic holiday cartoons such as The Grinch, it is that you do not need all the extra "stuff" to celebrate the true meaning of the day. If the Who's could do it, so can Coloradans. And this firework-less 4th provides potential for a Grinch sequel- maybe his brother tries to steal the 4th of July by getting rid of all the fireworks (bwa-ha-ha). Alright, maybe not. But given the ideas that movie makers are coming up with these days, it would not surprise me in the least if that was the next summer blockbuster.

I wish all of my readers a happy 4th of July- remember to cherish our freedoms that so many people of this world are deprived of. We complain a lot about our great nation and too often take our freedom for granted, and those that fight to protect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...